PhysicsWiki featured article
The Alcubierre drive or Alcubierre metric (referring to metric tensor) is a speculative idea based on a solution of Einstein's field equations in general relativity as proposed by theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre, by which a spacecraft could achieve faster-than-light travel if a configurable energy-density field lower than that of vacuum (i.e. negative mass) could be created. Rather than exceeding the speed of light within its local frame of reference, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel.(Full article...)
Did you know...
From Physicswiki's newest content:
- ... The impossibility of faster-than-light relative speed only applies locally. Wormholes allow superluminal (faster-than-light) travel by ensuring that the speed of light is not exceeded locally at any time.?
PhysicsWiki's featured picture
Estimated distribution of matter and energy in the universe, today (top) and when the CMB
was released (bottom)
is the branch of astronomy
that deals with the physics
of the universe
, including the physical properties
of celestial objects
, as well as their interactions and behavior. Among the objects studied are galaxies
, stars, planets
, extrasolar planets
, the interstellar medium
and the cosmic microwave background
. Their emissions are examined across all parts of the electromagnetic spectrum
, and the properties examined include luminosity
, and chemical composition
. Because astrophysics is a very broad subject, astrophysicists typically apply many disciplines of physics, including classical mechanics
, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics
, quantum mechanics
and particle physics
, and atomic, molecular, and optical physics
Other areas of PhysicsWiki
- Help desk – Ask questions about using PhysicsWiki.
- Reference desk – Serving as virtual librarians, PhysicsWiki volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Village pump – For discussions about PhysicsWiki itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
- Forum – For discussions about all things PhysicsWiki. Including articles, policies, content, layout...currently unmoderated.
- Community portal – Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of PhysicsWiki areas.
- Site news – Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on PhysicsWiki and the PhysicsWiki Association.
- Local embassy – For PhysicsWiki-related communication in languages other than English.
- Editing Tools - Tools provided online for those of you wanting editing assistance.
PhysicsWiki is written in English. Started in 2001
, it currently contains 19,651 articles. If other PhysicsWiki sites become available; they will be listed below.
Currently the only available language used in Physicswiki is English. As time & volunteers permit other languages and versions of this wiki may be established. It is most likely that the only language that will be hosted on the main server will remain English.