- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.
This poll ran for 7 days from 12:14 (UTC) on 20 September 2010 to 12:14 (UTC) on September 27 2010.
The result was 289 votes for temporary continuation of PC (59%), and 199 for temporary removal.
Following the two month trial of Pending Changes, an initial straw poll ended with "407 in favour of implementation in some form, and 217 opposed, with 44 other responses." As a result of that poll, which indicated significant support for that version of PC, but not consensus, Jimbo asked the Foundation to work on a new version to address the most common concerns which could be addressed in software in a reasonable period of time.
It was announced that a new version is slated for release on November 9. The community was asked to decide if the current implementation should continue to be used until the release of the new version. This poll was only about that question, and set no precedent for future use.
Straw poll instructions
There are two options: close or keep.
- Keep:Temporary continuation of PC on most of the currently PC'd articles is preferred over the temporary removal of PC from all articles - Prefer keeping Pending Changes active until the November release with little change in current deployment, over the alternative of removing it from all articles. It can be removed from pages where it is causing problems, and added sparingly to pages where it has clear benefits (in its current incarnation) over semi-protection. If this option has support, a hard stop date of December 31, 2010 will be set for a new poll on interim use of Pending Changes in the event that the release of the new version is delayed. Any new use of PC during this interim period should be sparing and focus primarily on BLPs.
- Close:Temporary removal of PC from all articles is preferred over the temporary continuation of PC on most of the currently PC'd articles - Remove Pending Changes from all article pages until a new trial after the November release is preferred to the alternative of keeping PC enabled on most of the currently PC-protected articles. Revert all pages to their pre-trial protection status unless otherwise indicated. It may still be used within the PhysicsWiki namespace for testing.
Again, this vote is only about what happens between now and release of the new software, a short-term question, and the vote will set no precedent for the future.
Brief comments are, as always, welcomed and will guide community thinking. The poll will be closed strictly according to majority vote.
- Please add brief comments but refrain from discussion inside the poll.
- Vote in the section titled with your choice.
Keep: option 1
- The alternative is to go through all pages currently protected by PC, and either apply semi-protection or remove protection. This is (a) a lot of work (to either create a bot or do it manually), and (b) either shuts out IP and non-auto-confirmed editors, or exposes the pages to the problems that initially prompted PC protection. TFOWR 12:51, 20 September 2010 (UTC)
- The discussion above is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.